CFE's 2014-15 Small Grant Application is NOW OPEN! Apply online by Monday, November 3rd.
CFE Study Group Coach Grants are awarded to experienced PreK-8th grade teachers interested in sharing a Teaching Approach with colleagues across the Chicago Public School system. CFE considers a Teaching Approach to be a
particular methodology or thematic project involving multiple teaching strategies that has been proven to increase student achievement. Teaching Approaches may be focused within one core subject area or integrated across the curriculum. A majority of Study Groups are district-wide, but a limited number of area- and school-based applicants will be selected.
Each Coach mentors a team (Study Group) of 6-8 teachers (Team Members) in implementing this Teaching Approach in their own classrooms. Coaches do not need to recruit Team Members; they will be selected in May through a separate application process.
After participating in a two-day training, Coaches develop a Study Group curriculum that includes scholarly articles, student work samples, and videos. Additionally, individual experiences are analyzed and used to adapt strategies to classroom and student needs. Peer feedback and reflection on progress are hallmarks of the Study Group process.
- Creating and Tracking Effective Classroom Behavior Management
- Developing Close Reading Strategies
- Fostering Critical Thinking in the Arts (network-based)
- Self-Determination in the Inclusive Classroom
- The Big Ideas of Mathematics (school-based)
The application is now closed. Congratulations to the 37 teachers who earned Study Group Coach Grants of up to $1,100!
- Application Due: 2014 Application Closed
- Award Notification via Email: 2014 Application Closed
- Mandatory Study Group Coach Training: May 7 and 14, 2014
- Mandatory Study Group Kick-Off Dinner: Thursday, June 5, 2014
- Meeting and Implementation: June through November 2014