CFE Study Group Coach Grants are awarded to experienced PreK-8th grade teachers interested in sharing a Teaching Approach with colleagues across the Chicago Public School system. CFE considers a Teaching Approach to be a
particular methodology or thematic project involving multiple teaching strategies that has been proven to increase student achievement. Teaching Approaches may be focused within one core subject area or integrated across the curriculum. A majority of Study Groups are district-wide, but a limited number of area- and school-based applicants will be selected.
Each Coach mentors a team (Study Group) of 6-8 teachers (Team Members) in implementing this Teaching Approach in their own classrooms. Coaches do not need to recruit Team Members; they will be selected in May through a separate application process.
After participating in a two-day training, Coaches develop a Study Group curriculum that includes scholarly articles, student work samples, and videos. Additionally, individual experiences are analyzed and used to adapt strategies to classroom and student needs. Peer feedback and reflection on progress are hallmarks of the Study Group process.
Last year, thirty-nine Coaches were offered the opportunity to lead Study Groups. Following are some of their group titles, and more information about each can be found in our 2013 Study Group Catalog:
- Creating Young Writers Using the “Six Traits”
- Developing Daily Differentiation Habits in Instruction
- Math Discussions: A Collaborative Learning Experience (school-based)
- Switching on Kids’ Brains with Song-Experience Games
- The Sociology of Conflict: Using Primary Sources to Analyze Group Strength in Trying Times
Thank you to everyone who applied for a 2014 Study Group Coach Grant. We are in the process of reviewing applications, and winners will be notified via email on March 7, 2014.
- Application Due: February 17, 2014
- Award Notification via Email: March 7, 2014
- Mandatory Study Group Coach Training: May 7 and 14, 2014
- Mandatory Study Group Kick-Off Dinner: June 5, 2014
- Meeting and Implementation: June through November 2014