Chicago Foundation for Education Small Grants fund the implementation of classroom and school-wide curricular projects that respond to the specific academic, social, and emotional needs of a student population. Grants of up to $600 are available to fund books, supplies, materials, field trips, or any other items that will deepen student engagement and promote active learning. Each application is evaluated by a minimum of three CFE volunteers who use a common rubric to assess how the teachers determined student needs.
Sample Small Grant Projects
In Spring 2013, 323 elementary school educators from 182 Chicago public schools will implement 281 Small Grants. Winning projects include:
- Easy as Pi: Measuring in Math – Marlene Collins (Beasley ES)
- Hands On Science – Ly Kim (CICS – Wrightwood ES)
- Book Clubs for All Readers – Gregory Fairbank (Kanoon ES)
CFE's online Small Grant Application is now closed. The next application will be available in September 2013.
Dates and Deadlines
- Award Notification: December 2012
- Implementation: February-May 2013
- Classroom Observations: April 8 – May 17, 2013
- Final Reports Due: June 3, 2013