Chicago Foundation for Education Small Grants fund the implementation of classroom and school-wide curricular projects that respond to the specific academic, social, and emotional needs of a student population. Grants of up to $600 are available to fund books, supplies, materials, field trips, or any other items that will deepen student engagement and promote active learning. Each application is evaluated by a minimum of three CFE volunteers who use a common rubric to assess how the teachers determined student needs.
Sample Small Grant Projects / 2015-16 Winners
315 teachers across 363 CPS schools earned 282 grants of up to $600 each in December 2015. Titles of winnng projects include:
- Learning to Love Reading – Samantha Talbot (Edison Park ES)
- Community Kids! – Margaret Lanigan (Mt. Greenwood ES)
- Bridge Building – Sarah Joe (William B. Ogden ES)
- Word Detectives – Julianne Burke (Hampton Fine and Performing Arts ES)
- Cultivating Character through Code – Kat Henry (Pulaski International ES)
Dates and Deadlines
- 2016-17 Application is now closed. Award Notifications will be sent in early December 2016 via email.
- Implementation: January through May 2017