Fund for Teachers (FFT) grants offer PreK-12th Grade Chicago Public School teachers the opportunity to develop summer fellowship experiences around the learning needs of their unique student and school populations, and ultimately aim to enhance the skills necessary to address those needs.
Applicants self-design research-based projects and submit proposals that detail how a FFT Fellowship would support their quests to become better teachers. Applicants explain how they plan to transfer their improved skills to the classroom, their colleagues, and their school communities. A panel of foundation, corporate, and community leaders evaluates these proposals and selects those likely to result in the greatest impact. Individual teachers are awarded up to $5,000 and teams of two or more teachers are awarded up to $10,000.
Since 2006, 375 Chicago fellows have traveled to more than 50 countries across six continents to explore countless ideas, terrains, and cultures. Fellowships have included:
- Exploring Mexican colonial cities representing the Aztec, Mayan, and Olmec cultures to enhance students’ understanding of past and present Latin America;
- Co-teaching for one month at a community school in Zambia to further a classroom exchange relationship and create a cross-curricular/cultural project exploring the effects of social and environmental disparities in learning, and
- Building a school in Buenos Aires with local community organizers, gaining language skills and cultural knowledge to develop student appreciation for their education and cultural awareness.
Current Class of FFT Fellows
This summer, teacher-scholars traveled around the globe to explore history and literature in Italy, bird identification skills in Costa Rica, and apartheid in South Africa, among other topics. For more information about these FFT Fellows, please view the list of 2017 FFT Fellows.
If you'd like to learn more about the Fund for Teachers Program, please visit the website of our national partner: www.FundforTeachers.org.
Dates and Deadlines
- 2018 FFT Application: Now Closed
- Application Deadline: Wednesday, January 31, 2018
- Award Notifications Sent: Early April 2018
- Orientation Event: April 25, 2018
- Fellowship Experiences: June – August 2018
- Post-Fellowship Reports Due: September 2018
- Reflection Event: October 2018